Fall Arts Festival Opportunities
JSP is currently seeking artists and craftspeople interested in presenting technical demonstrations or hands-on workshops during our 11th annual Fall Arts Festival on Sunday, September 20, 2020 from 11am to 6pm. All proposals must align with the festival theme of nature-based art, or art that connects us with nature.
Within the theme of nature-based art, the sky is the limit at JSP, as we have space and equipment to support nearly any kind of hands-on activity that you have in mind. Please contact us for more information.
Event Date: September 20, 2020
Application Deadline: April 30, 2020 Midnight EST
To be emailed to [email protected]
- Application form: available here Application Form
- 6 jpeg images to include:
- 4 images of artwork that represent your application category selected
- 1 booth image
- 1 image depicting your hands-on activity or demonstration
- Maximum 1-page image list
- Maximum 1-page summary of hands-on activity/demonstration
- Maximum 1-paragraph artist bio
Be sure to type your name into your application form as you would like it to appear in the press, in the event that you are accepted into the Festival.
The JSP Fall Arts Festival will celebrate its 11th year in 2020! This hands-on, experiential community art festival enables participants to explore nearly 20 opportunities to make their own art and experiment with a variety of methods and processes through workshops led by professional artists. The Art Market will happen in conjunction with Fall Arts Festival and was created to meet community requests for such an event. What will set this event apart from other festivals is that all artists selling at the Art Market will also be required to conduct some kind of demonstration or mini workshop for festival goers. We see this as an opportunity for you to be able to educate the public and your buyers about your process, methods or materials which will increase your sales and align with the mission of the Fall Arts Festival, which is educational in nature. We expect 3,000 people to attend this year. We will host 10-12 artists in the Art Market.
- This annual event is produced by Josephine Sculpture Park.
- Booth space is approx. 12’x12’; Booth rate is $150 (see details below)
- Several food vendors will be on site for the event.
- Festival is rain or shine.
- Website: josephinesculpturepark.org
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- Apply: February 15 – April 30, 2020
- Jury Process: May 1 – May 15
- Email Notification: by May 17
- Payment and Acceptance Deadline: June 1
- Load-In: Saturday, September 19, 2020 from 11am-6pm
- Art Market at FAF: Sunday, September 20, 2020 from 11am-6pm
Two People’s Choice Awards will be given for best artwork and best activity/demonstration.
ART MARKET RULES
- All work must be original art produced by the artist.
- Artists may only exhibit work in the category in which they are accepted.
- Artists must be present to exhibit.
- Artists are responsible for collecting and reporting all taxes.
- No Consumable products will be accepted, such as lotion, soaps, or food products or plants.
2-D Mixed Media – Any combination of materials used to create an original work of art with a one-sided orientation. Collages are an example of this type of artwork.
Ceramics –Decorative and functional objects created through earthenware, porcelain, or tile, made by shaping and then firing a nonmetallic mineral, such as clay, at a high temperature.
Drawing/Pastels – Works on paper using pencil, crayon, ink, charcoal, pastels and a variety of other marking media.
Fiber/Leather –Decorative and functional objects created from fibers such as natural materials, thread, felt, paper and leather.
Glass –Decorative and utilitarian objects created from blowing and fashioning glass.
Printmaking – A transfer process, usually in multiples; it involves creating an original drawing or other composition on a surface other than paper for transfer to paper through the use of a press, impressions made by hand, or a computer.
Jewelry –Body ornaments, such as bracelets, necklaces, earrings or rings, made of precious metals or other materials that can be set with gems, semi-precious gems or other materials.
Metalwork –Decorative and functional objects created through the forging, twisting and fabricating of various metals.
Painting – Original art using paint to yield a two-dimensional image.
Photography – The process of capturing images by the action of camera and light, then printing the images, by chemical or digital means, onto a surface. The photography category includes traditional film photography, hand colored images, emulsion transfers and digital photography. Photographers are required to disclose their creative and printing process including editions and materials.
Sculpture/3D Mixed Media – Any combination of materials to form an original work of art that is generally visible from 360 degrees.
Wood –Decorative and functional objects such as furniture or table wares, that may be hand-tooled or machine worked from wood.
Applicants must email a total of 6 digital images. 4 should represent individual artworks; 1 image should be of your booth set-up with work displayed; 1 should depict your hands-on activity or demonstration. Artwork will be evaluated on the criteria of Technique/Craftsmanship, Design/Aesthetics and Presentation/Impact.
JSP reserves the right to determine accepted artists by standards other than juror’s scores to achieve a balanced representation of all forms of media.
ACCEPTANCE & NOTIFICATION
Up to 12 artists will be accepted into the Art Market at JSP. Notification will be made by email May 17.
BOOTH RATE & SPACE: $150
- Booth space is approx. 12’x12’ in order to accommodate a 10’x10’ tent and your demonstration area.
- Each artist is allowed 1 single booth space.
- Space will be provided behind your booth for storage.
- Checks are to be made payable to Josephine Sculpture Park.
- Cancellation Fee: $45 No refunds will be honored if cancellation is made within 30 days of The Art Market.
- Booth refunds, less a $45 processing fee, will be given until August 9.
- Booth fees are paid once accepted, NOT with the application.
- There is a $25 fee for any check returned for insufficient funds to JSP. Artists will be responsible for paying this $25 fee to JSP.
- This is a rain or shine, outdoor event. There are no refunds due to weather.
LOAD-IN & LOAD-OUT
Since the Festival is held outdoors, Load-In and Load-Out are structured around weather conditions. Normally, cars are allowed to drive into the park; however, if the ground is wet, artists will have to park in the artist parking lot and dolly their work into the park. JSP encourages all artists to bring carts and dollies for loading in and out of the Art Market in case of inclement weather. A limited number of golf carts may be available to assist. This is to ensure the safety of all artists, festival patrons and staff, and is contingent upon weather conditions as aforementioned.
***Artists may not pack up their booths or art work until 6pm and will not be permitted to drive their vehicles into the park until after 6pm for load out.
PROMOTION & ARTIST SERVICES
Excellent media coverage will be provided by radio, television and print. The Fall Arts Festival is a highly anticipated event and well-covered by regional media. Please email JSP requests for up to a maximum of 25 promotional FAF postcards once notified of acceptance via email.
Artists are provided with several amenities during the Art Market, including: Booth-sitters, Overnight security at the park, and Early load-in on Saturday between 11am and 6pm.
- All juried decisions are final.
- Arrangements for commissions are solely between the artist and buyer. JSP will have no involvement in any aspect of such transactions placed at the Art Market.
- JSP will not be held liable in any way for problems that might arise from such agreements and will not participate in any efforts to settle such disputes.