Conservation & Outreach Internship
Position Summary: Josephine Sculpture Park is seeking an engaging and dedicated Conservation and Outreach intern to help us manage habitat, maintain park grounds, and conduct community outreach that promotes our mission to provide quality arts and environmental education and creative community experiences while conserving Kentucky’s native, rural landscape. If interested, you may design and implement your own program or project. You will also work with art studio interns to maintain park grounds and assist with events. This internship is approximately 20 hours per week from late May/early June through August (hours and dates are flexible).
Reports To: Program Director (primary); Founding Director & Studio Manager (secondary)
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Help maintain park grounds to enhance native habitat. Assist in habitat and park management projects, such as installing nature playground, planting and caring for trees and native plants, addressing erosion issues, assisting with native meadow installation, maintaining walking trails, mowing, weed eating, and invasive species removal.
- Document conservation and environmental education projects for social media and website content.
- Assist Program Director and contracted artists/educators in facilitating environmental education programs, which often incorporate the arts.
- Assist staff, interns and volunteers in event setup, coordination and teardown.
- Represent JSP at booth during partner events in the community.
Minimum Requirements: Passion for the mission of the organization. Excellent communicator. Flexible. Team-oriented/collaborative. Willing to work hard and learn new skills that involve manual labor. Some college experience preferred (not required). Some experience in environmental or other education prefered (not required). Some experience in landscaping, trail maintenance, or related preferred (not required).
Compensation and Benefits: Primitive housing on park grounds is provided (living at the park is optional). Some work may be completed remotely. We will work with you and your institution to offer internship/course credit. We encourage you to apply for internship funding through your institution, if available.
To Apply: Please send resume or CV, cover letter and references to Jeri K. Howell, Program
Director, at [email protected]. Due Sunday, April 5 by 11:59 PM. Phone or in-person interviews will take place the week of April 6. Position to begin late May/early June.
Questions: Jeri K. Howell at [email protected] or 502-352-7082