Art Studio or Art Education Internship
Position Summary: JSP is seeking interns to live and work at JSP from May through end of October (dates are flexible). Workload is approx. 20 hours per week for the park. Use of studio facilities is encouraged as is exhibition of a work at JSP (although not required). Primary responsibilities include general park maintenance (weed eating, mowing, installing sculptures, removing invasive plants), sculptural repair, painting, etc. and assistance/preparation for park events and workshops. Additional responsibilities as they arise may include computer/website work, or other as determined by the skills of each intern.
Primitive housing is provided. Food, travel and materials will be responsibility of the intern.
Reports To: Artistic Director (primary) & Program Director (secondary)
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- General park maintenance such as weed eating, mowing, trail maintenance and site preparation for new installations
- Assist Director and artists in residence with installation of new sculptures and repairing damaged sculptures, repainting existing sculptures
- Assist Director, Program Coordinator and contracted artists/educators in facilitating community arts and environmental education classes, workshops and camps.
- Assist staff, interns and volunteers in event setup, coordination and teardown. Summer events include, but are not limited to, SoundScape! Music & Sculpture Festival, and Blacksmith Hammer-In; will also involve preparation for the Fall Arts Festival.
- Represent JSP at our booth during partner events in the community.
Minimum Requirements: Passion for the mission of the organization. Creative. Excellent communicator. Flexible. Team-oriented/collaborative. Must also be self-motivated and enjoy working alone at times. Some college experience, and background or experience in studio arts. Experience working with diverse populations preferred but not required.
Compensation and Benefits: Primitive housing on park grounds is provided (living at the park is optional). Some work may be completed remotely. We will work with you and your institution to offer internship/course credit. We encourage you to apply for internship funding through your institution, if available. You are encouraged to make use of the studio facilities to create new work to be installed and exhibited at JSP. Assistance will be provided for installation and creation of new work as well as material acquisition and in kind support of materials when possible. Training on equipment will also be provided when appropriate.
Scholarship Opportunity: One scholarship will be available each summer to provide some financial assistance to an intern expressing that need. If you wish to apply for the scholarship, please include a one page narrative describing your request and how this scholarship would help your artistic development. Also include a copy of your tax return from the previous year.
To Apply: Please submit all materials as a single pdf to [email protected] with INTERNSHIP in the subject line.
Round 1: The application deadline for the Intern Artist Residency to begin in May (May-Aug. or Sep.) is FEBRUARY 10, 2020.
Round 2: The application deadline for the Intern Artist Residency to begin in July (July – Sep. or Oct.) is MAY 10, 2020.
Materials must be received via email by MIDNIGHT EST. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Exact move in and move out dates will be determined individually based on mutually agreeable schedule.
- Statement of Interest: A brief description of your interest in the Josephine Sculpture Park Internship Program. One-page max. Please include any special skills or areas you would like to learn more about. Also include your preferred dates to be in residence.
- Work Samples: 5-10 images or video link of recent work. Video files should be no longer than 1 minute. OK to send a link to your website that shows images of your work.
- Image Script: A numbered list that corresponds to each of the submitted images. For each image, include the title, date, materials, dimensions and if necessary a two sentence description of the work.
- Current CV or artist resume: Five pages max.
- Artist statement: One page max.
- List of 3 references with relationship and email and phone number for each.
Reminder: Please submit all materials as a single pdf to [email protected] with INTERNSHIP in the subject line.
Please contact us for more information.