Art Studio or Art Education Internship
JSP is seeking interns to live and work at JSP from May 1 – October 31 (dates are flexible). Workload is approx. 20 hours per week for the park. Use of studio facilities is encouraged as is exhibition of a work at JSP (although not required). Primary responsibilities include general park maintenance (weed eating, mowing, installing sculptures, removing invasive plants), sculptural repair, painting, etc. and assistance/preparation for park events and workshops. Additional responsibilities as they arise may include computer/website work, or other as determined by the skills and interests of each intern. JSP is committed to the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion and seeks to create a welcoming community for all staff, volunteers, and visitors. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Primitive housing may be provided. Food, travel and materials will be the responsibility of the intern.
Summary of Essential Intern Tasks
- General park maintenance such as weed eating, mowing, trail maintenance and site preparation for new installations
- Assist Director and artists in residence with installation of new sculptures and repairing or removing damaged sculptures, repainting existing sculptures
- Assist Director and Program Director and contracted artists/educators in facilitating community arts and environmental education classes, workshops and camps
- Assist staff, interns and volunteers in event setup, coordination and teardown
- Represent JSP at our booth during partner events in the community
- Lead tours at JSP and in the community through our Art in Public Places program
- Preference will be given to artists who meet any of these criteria:
- Artist is living and/or working in KY
- Artist identifies as a person of color
- Artist identifies as a woman, transgender or gender non-conforming person
- Preference will be giving to applications received before August 31.
- Applicant must be a U.S. resident or hold valid visa documents.
- Applicant must have some studio art experience as evidenced in the work samples.
- Artist must be 18 years of age or older during the time of the internship.
- Applicant’s work must be characterized as one or more of the following: sculpture, three-dimensional installation, multimedia, site-specific, land art, conceptual art, social practice, painting/mural, public art and/or performance art.
Applications DUE: Ongoing deadline, internships available now through end of October. Preference will be giving to applications received before August 31.
Download the FULL APPLICATION HERE: Art Studio or Art Education Internship Application Summer 2021